The Directory Walker revisited

Wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Sat Sep 6 07:20:00 EDT 2003

On Saturday, Sep 6, 2003, at 04:49 Europe/Brussels,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 10:47:04 +1000
> From: David Vaughan <dvk at dvkconsult.com.au>
> Subject: Re: The Directory Walker revisited
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com

snip

> Not in the terminology but in reading of recursive code. The process
> above is indeed depth-first and will recurse only to the maxDepth. The
> next folder at the same level will not be processed until all lower
> folders have been processed, and that statement is of course
> (recursively) true for each lower folder. Thus, depth matters, breadth
> is irrelevant. You can test this by walking a small tree while
> displaying depth and breadth in real time.

If I may ask just a little practical question to be able to completely
understand  your  explanation :

A  folder "a" contains 3 folders "a1","b1","c1" and each of this
folders contains another folder :  "a1" contains folder "a2", folder
"b1" contains folder "b2" and folder "c1" contains folder "c2".

How many times your recursive handler is recursing?

> If the processing were post-order rather than pre-order then breadth
> would count but in Geoff's and my code it does not. I think this is
> where the principal confusion has arisen.
>
> regards
> David

Tnx in advance.
Greetings