MySQL license and revolution

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sat Sep 6 03:16:00 EDT 2003

Le sam 06/09/2003 à 00:41, Steve Gehlbach a écrit :
> Alex Rice wrote:
>

> > There was an interesting article recently about the BSD licensing used
> > by PostgreSQL Inc. (pgsql.com) Their strategy is to develop software and
> > market it commercially for a 24 month period. After that, they release
> > it under a BSD license, which is wide-open for even for competing
> > commercial usages. Most recent example being a DB Replication Server. I
> > wish I could find that article URL. Maybe it was just a press release.
>
> I am a big fan of postgresql for other reasons, it is a far more
> sophisitcated database.  I am an old SQL hack from big Unix days, and I
> could not suffer under mySQL's simple implementation.  It may have
> gotten better in the last few years, but I think postgres has moved
> forward too.  If you want referential integrity, inner and outer joins,
> etc, postgres is the ticket.  I think mySQL has caught on for people
> with only causual familiarity with SQL, and is a little simpler to setup
> and understand.  SQL can be a goofy language to get used to, that's for
> sure.
>
> -Steve

Hi There,

100% agreed,... and PostgreSQL is on stage since years : it's full free
usable by evry one how can use it "as this" and with commercial
"PostgreSQL inc" add-ons if you need them. A free model + a clean
commercial business model : here are the two legs of the PostgreSQL
success story.

I'm, now, using MC driven PostgreSQL 24/7 production solutions since
about two years - via shell() to psql calls and, in the near weeks, i
hope, via the RevDB library - and i never had a PG engine crash, even in
doing unsecure development-grade testings or bad SQL syntax mistakes.
Because PostgreSQL is full ACID compliant, it's one of the most
unbreakable databases server available today. Firebird seems to be full
ACID compliant too but i have no experience in using it.

Beside those kind of tools, MySQL 3.23 is dangerously unable to handle
more than 10-15 write-mode operations per seconds. MySQL 4.0.1* is lots
more clean about this kind of tasks and MySQL 5.xx could become a real
professional grade ACID compliant db server, including most of the SAPDB
features (ACID compliant server - recently brought by SAP AG to MySQL
AG).

For yet, and because "the grass is not always greener other ways !", i
just fell me very lucky to be able to mix the Rev's and PG powers in
bulding cool and powerfull networked solutions.

Bests, Pierre