MySQL license and revolution

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Sep 5 18:44:00 EDT 2003

Alex Rice wrote:

> Thanks for the PostgreSQL db drivers, Runrev!

I agree, and although I have yet to use the db interface, I have used
similar ones with perl, perl/tk, and php.  RR is a perfect match for
in-house application software for MIS purposes.  And the beauty of it
is, if the office uses the Mac, Accounting uses Windows, and Engineering
uses Linux, it doesn't matter!  Everyone can fill out their timecard,
write po's, query inventory status, etc.

I know a lot of people are using browsers, javascript, and php to do
this.  But after being burned over and over again on browser
compatiblity, crashes, memory hog problems, etc, I am not a big fan of
browsers anymore.  The user interface/programming paradigm with html is
limited.  And don't get me started on java, it's as big of a menace as
browsers.  Great teaching language, though.

-Steve