MySQL license and revolution

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Fri Sep 5 14:49:01 EDT 2003

On Friday, September 5, 2003, at 01:15  PM, Tuviah Snyder wrote:

> So will we have to remove the libmysql.dll driver from the Revolution
> distribution?

I hope not! I doubt it- Rev is a vehicle for them to get more MySQL
users so I think they wouldn't bother you. That is a guess though.

> I thought MySQL was open source, doesn't sound open and free to me.

Mysql actually started out as 100% commercial software, however the
source code was always freely available. Wasn't until '98 or '99 (?)
they they went to the dual licensing with GPL or Commercial.

There was an interesting article recently about the BSD licensing used
by PostgreSQL Inc. (pgsql.com) Their strategy is to develop software
and market it commercially for a 24 month period. After that, they
release it under a BSD license, which is wide-open for even for
competing commercial usages. Most recent example being a DB Replication
Server. I wish I could find that article URL. Maybe it was just a press
release.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com