OS X standalones: 2 questions

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Sep 3 17:46:01 EDT 2003

On 9/3/03 5:26 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> 1) Has the size of the OS X engine grown in recent versions? A hello
> world stack compiled with Rev 2.1 on Windows 2K results in a standalone
> size of:
>
> 2.06 MB Windows
> 4.43 MB Mac OS X (4.29 MB = executable, remainder is app package)

I have noticed an odd tendency for the standalone builder to insert two
copies of the engine in OS X builds. One copy is directly inside the app
bundle, and the second copy is in app/Contents/MacOS/. Deleting the one
just inside the app bundle doesn't seem to hurt anything and will halve
the size of the build.

I haven't quite got it nailed down yet, but I think it may have
something to do with building a new standalone on top of an existing one
(that is, the new one replaces the old one on disk.) If someone can
verify that, we could bugzilla it.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com