starting a process on OS X

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Sep 3 14:09:02 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 11:29  AM, Dar Scott wrote:

> I guess I need a shell solution.  I don't know why & does not seem to
> work.  Maybe it does and I'm doing something else wrong.

It is confusing. Why not just have one command instead of "launch",
"shell" or "open process"?

I don't advocate anyone switching Ruv for Perl but one neat thing about
Perl is that it's open() function works on a filename or a shell
command. It accomplishes this by specifying a "mode" for the open,
using the symbols <, >, >>, +<, +>, +>>, or |, around the name to be
opened. The mode specifies read, write, append, create, or clobber for
files and/or commands.

Transcript has picked up Perl regular expressions, so maybe it could
pickup it's filehandle and process opening semantics as well? :-)

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com