The Directory Walker revisited

wouter wouter.abraham at pi.be
Tue Sep 2 04:05:03 EDT 2003

On dinsdag, sep 2, 2003, at 02:13 Europe/Brussels,
use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com wrote:

> Message: 10
> Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 18:05:22 -0600
> Subject: Re: The Directory Walker revisited
> From: Dar Scott <dsc at swcp.com>
> To: use-revolution at lists.runrev.com

snip

> On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 04:45 AM, wouter wrote:
>
>> Upon examining the nice (recursive) directory walking script:
>> But I watched it bump into the recursion-limit wall.
>
>  From the Transcript Dictionary Entry:
>
>> By default, the recursionLimit property is set to 1000000.
>
> I assume values, context, and most things are not on the stack but are
> pointed to by internal values on the stack.  I could very well be
> wrong.  I would be surprised if a stack entry was 100 bytes but I would
> think it would be under 1K.  That means a depth limit of 1000 calls.
> This is all speculation.  Testing is left for the curious.
>
> Now directories nested 1000 deep seems unusual.

That is true but the amount of recursion is not  equal to the depth of
the directories.
It is equal to the total amount of directories. And this number can
easily surpass 1000.

> Perhaps this is running into a first-rest nesting as well.  (I haven't
> looked at the latest of the script.)  Even so, that does seem strange.
>
> Dar Scott

Have a good morning
WA

PS      I appologize in advance if my responses are redundant because
the mail  traffic over here seems to be lagging way behind...