command-line/CGI Revolution engine questions

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Sep 1 13:03:00 EDT 2003

I just downloaded the 2.0 revolution engine for Darwin (OS X) from
ftp.runrev.com.

1) It requires installation of nonstandard shared libraries X11 and
libdl. The darwin engine "mc" available from metacard.com does not have
this problem. Why the difference? I already had X11 installed and
compiling libdl right now. I am just surprised I have to compile
something to get the revolution engine to work.

2) I tried the following as an experiment.

  sudo cp revolution /usr/local/bin/mc
  create mainstack in Rev IDE, save as filename "fu.rev"
  write a handler in the stack

on startup
   put "hello world"
   put linefeed
end startup

# chmod +x fu.rev
# ./fu.rev

external startup
mc: Can't open display
mc: Can't load stack or script ./fu.rev

Anyone know why the shell script front end that appears in each MC
stack does not work on OS X? Does it work on Linux? Maybe I am not
understanding the intent of this mini shell script that appears at the
beginning of every Rev stack.  Here it is.

#!/bin/sh
# MetaCard 2.4 stack
# The following is not ASCII text,
# so now would be a good time to q out of more^L
exec mc $0 "$@"

This, however, does work ok:

#!/usr/local/bin/mc
on startup
   put "hello world"
   put linefeed
end startup

Now I understand why the previous poster (I'm bad with names) was doing
like this

#!/usr/local/bin/mc
start using stack "some.rev"

3) The 2.1 command-line/CGI engines are not available?

4) Is there an Emacs mode for metacard and/or xtalk languages
languages? My version of emacs thinks a .mc script is for M4 macro mode
:-/

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | http://mindlube.com