OT: Convert AIF to MP3

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Oct 28 13:00:07 EST 2003

Hello Sannyasin,

> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 20:34:08 -1000
> From: Sannyasin Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org>
> Subject: OT: Convert AIF to MP3

> Now, under Panther, the
> appleScript and the latest version of iTunes is also broken...it used
> to be simple: pass a file path to a variable and tell iTunes to convert
> that file.  Now, nothing happens.
----------
Have you tried using QT? I'm looking into that right now.
----------
> I sat with our sound man today and watched him try to debug the script
> using examples from some iTunes appleScript site... wow, talk about
> convoluted! I'm really spoiled by xTalk... using iTunes for this seems
> like using a tablesaw to sharpen a tooth pick... a small knife is
> really all that is needed.
----------
This is typical of the things that have weighed on my mind about programming
in general lately. It seems that both MS and Apple continue to make changes
to their OS' which are drastic enough to cause breakage in their own support
apps.

This is no way to run a railroad.

Like many of you, I'm a member of ADC. We need to complain to Apple to
settle down, or at least make sure the changes they make to the OS doesn't
break things. E.G., AFAIC, there is no excuse for AS losing control of
iTunes. Even if Rev had a command set and functions to do file conversions,
it might also break. But I sure wish it did anyway (hint-hint).

Not sure where to address these types of issues with MS, though.

Ken N.