newsgroup vs. mailing list

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Oct 28 02:51:27 EST 2003

On Oct 28, 2003, at 12:27 AM, James Richards wrote:

> What is the effect of those of us who receive the digest and hit
> 'Reply to'
> and then edit subject line? If we don't edit the subject line it gets
> the
> useless unedited heading, and anyway the Reply to header must foul up
> any
> chance of threading.

Not sure what happens.

> I wonder why threading is done that way when so often congruence of
> subject
> line is the desired basis of threading. And presumable the situation
> would
> be just as bad if someone on the digest list simply created a new
> email from
> scratch.

You got me thinking- If anyone out there is writing a new mail client-
please make it have a message-digest-aware reply feature. It should be
able to pick out the subject line and message-id based on how far into
the digest you have scrolled!

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>