Windows TTS- what about "Narrator"?

Paul Stary paul at starytech.com
Mon Oct 27 20:21:35 EST 2003

I joined the list just this morning and have missed some of the prior
discussion about Windows TTS. I am hoping my Revolution stack using
revSpeak will be able to access Windows TTS functionality as provided
by <http://readplease.com/rplisten.php>ReadPlease, which uses the
AT&T NaturalSpeak engine. If you have not heard their 16bit voices,
you will be shocked! The Rich and Claire voices are by far the most
natural sounding TTS I have ever heard and may even replace
professional announcers in quality. Unfortunately, chews up massive
system resources.

I'm hoping some of you have insight on how to make this work. I infer
from early replies to this thread that revSpeak does NOT support XP,
but then this message...

At 4:05 AM -0500 10/27/03, Tuviah Snyder wrote:
>  >I know. I sure hope they can patch revSpeak for XP somehow.
We are adding support for SAPI 5.x. I just hope the people at MS actually
stick to this API, and don't come up with  a SAPI 6.Net.Com which requires
another full rewrite.

Tuviah Snyder <tuviah at runrev.com> <http://www.runrev.com/>
Runtime Revolution Limited - Software at the Speed of Thought

Does this mean revSpeak now DOES support XP?

I plan to contact ReadPlease tomorrow to find out if the AT&T TTS
software is installed as a system resource and can be accessed by the
Speech Control Panel like the Lernout & Hauspie TruVoice I tried
yesterday on W98 machine. Will report back. Not sure if this means
rveSpeak will access it, though. Any opinions?

Thanks,
Paul Stary