How to use Rev with Media Player - anyone got a guide?

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Sun Oct 26 16:47:07 EST 2003

Hi Ken,

> Hi Klaus,
>
>> Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:10:34 +0100
>> From: Klaus Major <klaus at major-k.de>
>> Subject: Re: How to use Rev with Media Player - anyone got a guide?
>
>>> I assume they should also play
>>> back on WMP in Windows on a PC.
>>
>> I doubt ;-)
> ----------
> OK, but your explanation is limited.

Maybe, but i never claimed to cover ALL aspects ;-)

> I understand codecs when they come into
> play, but I don't understand why a file type created by QT can't be
> played
> by any other player on any other machine which can recognize it.

It can, see below...

> I think there are sites with video that will open automatically with
> either player
> (but maybe not RealPlayer) IIRC. What created them?

Browsers look for the MIME-type info in the html-source, which explains
the browser
what plug-in to use/what (helper-)app to start etc...

> Does MP come with a 'Pro' version like QT Pro which will allow
> conversions?

Sorry, no idea...

I do all of the multimedia stuff/editing on my mac :-)

> How do we create files that play on WMP?

You can, of course, create files with QT that are playable on win...
(You will just have to avoid QT specific codecs...)

Like:

Audio:
AIFF with NO compression...*
WAV with NO compression...*
AU with µlaw 2.1 compression...*
(Important: 44.1, 22.05 or 11.025 khz sample-rate, 8 or 16 bit
sample-depth)

Video:
AVI compression: Cinepak (low quality, but compatible)*
DivX (if you installed the macversion of DivX)

MPG (only playback supported QT)*

* Will also work on *NIX!

Chances are very good (NO guarantees!) that these formats can be played
on
win WITHOUT QT...

Except DivX, these formats happen to be the ones that can be played
with the
"play audioclip xxx" and "play videoclip yyy" commands ;-)

> And further, how do we ensure that
> the user won't have to go to extraordinary lengths, i.e., outside of
> using a
> reasonably recent OS, to display media content?

I would be a rich man, if i could answer this question ;-)

> Like others, I must be able to create A/V and deliver apps that will
> display
> A/V on either Win or Mac (UNIX not necessary yet, but down the
> road...maybe). Setting separate sets of files is OK, but, e.g., how do
> record sound for WMP in Rev?

See above...

> If I'm going to use Rev to produce x-platform, that will be a
> necessity.
>
> The only other thing might be to bundle some less-than-new version of
> QT
> that will play on the widest variety of Win machines and will play my
> media,
> along with a one button installer, with the app. I seem to remember a
> thread
> about that, but I couldn't find anything in the archives.

Check this page for further info about bundling QT with your app...

http://developer.apple.com/mkt/swl/quicktime.html

> Ken N.

Hope this helps...

Regards