. Re: cross-stack globals, also, file inclusion

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Sat Oct 25 12:39:20 EDT 2003

>>Programmer error, Jacque: constants 123 and "123" are not the same
>>and should not be used interchangeably.
>
>Do you mean as compiled?  Or as a matter of style?
>
>I have gotten the impression that these are exactly equivalent.
>When used in arithmetic in a handler, the value is converted to
>internal number form.

Morning, Dar.

IMF(oole's)O, the value of a constant is CONSTANT, and 123 does not
equate to "123".  It certainly doesn't in any other language I've
programmed in.

I always use 123 to specify the integer and "123" to specify the
string; so I don't know if Revolution tries to coerce one to the
other.  I suppose one should try Jacque's example to see what the
MetaCard engine does with it; however I believe coercing the type of
a constant is not appropriate for a professional development tool.
--

Rob Cozens
CCW, Serendipity Software Company