[OT] Borrowing Your Words

Mark Brownell gizmotron at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 22 11:44:24 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 08:15  AM, Rick Harrison wrote:

> Dan,
>
> You may want to check that Revolution doesn't own the rights since we
> are posting on their service.
>
> Otherwise I would agree that it is in the public domain unless someone
> states that it is copyrighted material.
>
> Rick

Rick,

I've been doing some looking into © Copyright issues regarding postings
to lists. This came up when someone objected to me creating an archive
of a discussion list that was going to have its earlier years dropped
from the server that was hosting it. I found out that as long as I
didn't change what a person had written it was OK to host the archive.
International copyright agreements regard the use of "© Copyright"
differently. In some countries if the use of "© Copyright" is required
before your rights exist. In the USA your rights exist when you post
your message.

If Dan wishes to use fully replicated responses or suggestions of
advice and wishes to make them easier to reed topically he might need
to post the full message that contains the relevant information. He
could color out the noise with html tagging to make unchanged posting
more topically readable, or I would suggest getting permissions to
alter postings to a paraphrased version by each person that contributed
to the topic and that was intended to be used by Dan. I hope he finds
out that he can cut and paste relevant parts without the need for
formalized permissions.

My two cents...

Mark