relative path to stack in send

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Tue Oct 21 22:40:49 EDT 2003

> >None of these seem to work:
> >
> >     send "gimmeSomeOThatStuff" to stack "../Gurobaru stack.rev"
> >     send "gimmeSomeOThatStuff" to stack "file:../Gurobaru stack.rev"
> >     send "gimmeSomeOThatStuff" to stack URL "file:../Gurobaru stack.rev"
> >
> >This works, but only if Gurobaru stack is already open:
> >
> >     send "gimmeSomeOThatStuff" to stack "Gurobaru stack"
> >
> >This works, even if Gurobaru stack is not open.

Forgot something here. What works if Gurobaru stack is not open is

    send "gimmeSomeOThatStuff" to stack "E:/users/home/rees-j/projects/hypercard/practice/Gurobaru stack.rev"

(Sorry about the long line. MSW2k in Japanese doesn't seem to give me a
way to type the line continuation character in Rev.)

> >Does send to another stack require absolute paths when the target stack
> >is not open? Is there no way to use relative paths?
>
> Send works only for stacks that are open. If they are not open, how
> can they act upon the send? The last send works because Rev opens
> your stack first (it somehow finds it or it still has a copy in
> memory if it was open earlier).

Only when open. Sorry about the confusion. The version with the absolute
path (that I forgot) is the one that finds it when the stack is closed.

It would be nice to be able to use relative path, if anyone knows how.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan