Deleting 1 line from a long list

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Tue Oct 21 05:20:37 EDT 2003

Igor,

First you should use a reverse loop to avoid the error of deleting
non-existing lines

repeat with x = totallines down to 1
  if pString is not in thislist then exit repeat

You can shorten it with this statement too...
put the number of lines in char 1 to offset(pstring,plist) into totallines

Using repeat with x = 1 to totallines will cause errors:
The totallines will not be exact after 1 deletion and you will repeat out
of bounds...

The next fastest trick is to use lineoffset or offset to find those
occurences. Repeat until the string
is no longer found.

By far the fastest should be this though:
If you can predict what the line will be you can also use a replace (
thisstring & CR) with "" in mylist.
The other choice is to use the regular expression if your guess is not
exact but grepable...

cheers
Xavier Bury
TNS NT LAN Server