ANN: Revolution HTTPd Project

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Sun Oct 19 12:39:51 EDT 2003

Hi Folks,

I am very very very very pleased to announce for immediate release the
Revolution HTTPd Project. It's a simple httpd server based on Metacard
HTTPd stack. It can serve files from a local folder and it can do lot's
of stunts with substacks!!!! Yes thats dynamic content for you. I
borrowed (or invented I don't know) a concept of transportation,
meaning when a user call a file from the server, it checks if theres a
substack with the same name, if it does have one, then it checks what
was the desired output format (this time it's XML or HTML) then it
pipes the result from the stack to the user.

It's very cool and you must see to understand. I created a webpage for
this project its located at http://www.soapdog.org/rev/revhttpd.html
there you can get all your infos and the first release. It's all public
domain with source. The current substacks (they act like CGI apps) are:

	Quotes - It's a quote of the day app, when requested as Quotes.html it
will render a nice html, if requested as Quotes.xml it will render a
simple to parse xml.
	Status - It shows some status info like open sockets and open stacks,
when asked as Status.html it renders a nice HTML, the XML option will
redirect you to a nice error page telling that this substack does not
like XML.

It's also possible to make HTTPd stack present itself by calling
http://localhost:8080/httpd.html, it will echo the http request, this
is usefull for debuging.  It's a very fun project, take your time to
explore the site, there I explain how it's all done, also feel free to
send me mail at soapdog at mac.com. I'll leave the HTTPd stack running at
home so if anyone want to try it (don't know if my ISP firewall will
allow the connection) can point their browsers to
http://home.soapdog.org:8080/

The direct download link is http://www.soapdog.org/rev/httpd.zip

PS: I've got a paypal account under agarzia at mac.com if anyone want to
support this project.