POST variables to CGI via URL with URLencoded string fails??

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Oct 16 20:07:04 EDT 2003

I have a simple CGI running that  receives subscription requests to our
Hindu Press International mailing list.

Odd thing is... if I post the name and email address (only two fields
in this form) to the CGI from a web form.. it works..

but if we try to post the same two values via a standard URL, with the
input values appended in the normal way a URLencoded string, the CGI
does respond, but it tells us that standardIn is returning empty??

The beginning of the CGI is straightforward:

on startup
     read from stdin until empty
     put it into temp
put  urlDecode (it)  into tDataIn
put tDataIn into tRemit
      split tDataIn by "&" and "="
   put isWellFormedMailtoScheme (tDataIn ["email"]) into emailCheck
    switch emailCheck

  ##  etc. process the subscription.. only two values expected, name and
email address...

But this:

http://www.hinduismtoday.com/cgi-bin/
send_sub_request.cgi?name=Aloha+test&email=jiva%40hindu.org

doesn't work... standardIn returns empty.

but this online service for auto generating posts to CGI's does work:

http://www.io.com/~jsm/nph-ap.cgi/http://www.hinduismtoday.com/cgi-bin/
send_sub_request.cgi?name=Aloha+test&email=jiva%40hindu.org

Any clues on why standardIn would be empty on one and not on the other?
Or strategies for testing?

Thanks

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications