256 color icons in Windows

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Tue Oct 7 21:09:01 EDT 2003

On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 07:09  PM, Ken Ray wrote:
> You're right and there's not much you can do about it. You can't change
> a 16-color icon to a 256 color one inside of the executable, and Rev
> doesn't support anything other than 16 colors for icons. You can create
> a shortcut to the app that has 256 color icons, but that only changes
> what the user may see *on disk*; it doesn't have anything to do with
> the
> alt-tab display. The only thing I can suggest is perhaps to go with a
> very simple icon that uses the 16 colors to their best and not to
> dither
> down a 256 color image (if you have the luxury of creating a new icon).

Unfortunatley I don't have control over the icon.  This app will be a
part of a suite of apps.  My client has the icons designed for the
whole suite.  The other apps are programmed in C++ and and make use of
all icon sizes.  Mine on the other hand only uses the 16 color one
which is unfortunate.  The quality control team is very picky about
little details like this and I don't enjoy telling them there is a
limit such as this for icons.

Thanks,

--
Trevor DeVore