revCopyFile broken on OS X?

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Oct 6 00:27:00 EDT 2003

We are experiencing some corruption on files worked directly over the
LAN on our OS X server (InDesign) and Adobe's recommendation is to
always copy the files to the local hard drive and then work on the
local file, then put it back. It works, suddenty ID2 file corruption is
gone... that's the good news.

But, this creates challenges for a collaborative work group with many
editors and writers... so, I am trying to create a drag and drop RCS
(Revision Control System), which copies files to the local hard drive,
increments a galley number in the file name, moves old galleys on the
server to a back up folder etc... all very easy thanks to Rev... in
fact we have a number of other applications running in Rev that we use
every day that perform all these same operations in one for or another,
but they are all raw ascii, xml, html files.... this is different...

the problem is

revCopyFile

is not behaving as documented on OS X... purportedly it should:

"... the revCopyFile command provides certain advantages. It copies
file attributes (such as file type) and Mac OS resource forks along
with the file. It also does not require reading the entire file into
memory, so even extremely large files can be copied."

But, we are not seeing this. An InDesign file (or any file for that
matter) copied from the server which has a visible ID2 icon in the
finder, using:

   revCopyFile (gRemotePath& gRemoteFile),fld "localfolder"

arrives on the local hard drive as nondescript, no icon and no
application binding... looks like the resource fork is not making it
across the copy... An attempt to boot the file by double-clicking in
the finder invokes the OS user input dialog,:

"There is no specified application to open document "whatever
document.ind"
     [btns:] "Choose Application"  "OK"

Presumably, since revCopyfile invokes onboard Applescript in the
background, one might assume its not Rev's fault but AppleScript's
fault.. but before digging into this any further I thought I might just
ask here... This is pretty much a "show stopper" for the little RCS
widget I am trying to create, which otherwise took about 30 minutes to
put together and will be a dream machine for the team.

Retaining the application binding is mandatory and adding the ".ind"
extension doesn't help...

Any thoughts? (including any thoughts on RCS if you have already "been
there, done that.")

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery