Do Proxies Interfere With Sockets? [RevNet?]

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sat Oct 4 11:12:01 EDT 2003

On Saturday, October 4, 2003, at 01:05 AM, David Kwinter wrote:

> As far as languages go, transcript is my mother tongue. I tried this in
> Terminal, no go, how do I implement this?

Arg.  I was being cryptic again.

I mean that is enough info for the person who manages the firewall to
make the changes.  Each firewall type will be different in how that is
done.

In some organizations the person who manages the firewall can do this
in a minute.  In others, where that is not a primary responsibility or
the firewall is a pain to manage, there is often delay or hesitation.
In some, an approval process is involved.  In some, chocolate is
required.

The important thing is that an exact description of the need is
required.  Some organizations require a business purpose.  Some require
a risk assessment.  If the range of computers outside and even the
range inside can be limited, that helps.  "Because the connection is
TCP outgoing and because a single port is involved, the risk is ..."

So...

My advice here is not technical in a strict sense, but pragmatic in it
gets firewalls open.

A URL to a page for firewall administrators might help.

Dar Scott