Do Proxies Interfere With Sockets?

David Kwinter david at kwinter.ca
Fri Oct 3 18:24:00 EDT 2003

On 10/3/03 4:03 PM, "Dar Scott" <dsc at swcp.com> wrote:

>> It then does its communication via sockets.
>
> Do you mean via tcp using "open socket"?  One might infer from the
> above IP address and port that it is tcp to an http port.

I use "open socket" TCP style communication with the host using:
accept connections on port 8080 with message "newMsg" - everything runs
beautifully in non-proxy situations.

The use of 8080 is just a first attempt to get the traffic through routers
and proxies.

My program got on www.macnn.com and www.macupdate.com and now has hundreds
of users, a couple people have emailed that it doesn't work and I'm certain
it's due to proxy problems.

Has anyone made a program that uses sockets successfully through proxies??

David Kwinter