Decompress cross platform

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Oct 3 16:26:14 EDT 2003

On 10/3/03 3:20 PM, Dar Scott wrote:

> On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 01:14 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> I don't want to maintain separate stacks for each platform. Any idea
>> how to get around this problem? I thought compression was supposed to
>> work the same way on all plaforms.
>

> Me, too.
>
> There is a decompression bug for OS X & Revolution 2.1, but this does
> not seem to be it.  Or is it?  That bug is fixed and the fix will be in
> an upcoming release.
>
> Revolution compression uses a gzip style compression that is the same as
> that (the best I can tell) in RFC1952.  The decompression does not check
> the CRC, so it can't be compliant.  In my opinion, it should _not_ check
> the CRC in decompression.  I would expect this to work across
> platforms.  IIRC, the OS X bug is a type bug and those might make
> differences across platforms.
>
> Do you have a small example that does not work the same across platforms.

You can use anything. Just create a field and put any text into it. Then
do this:

  put compress(fld x) into fld x

Save the stack and transfer it to the other platform. Then do:

  put decompress(fld x) into fld x

It won't work for me. In re: your other note, there are no nulls and the
lines are not long; it is just plain ascii. So I don't think the problem
is with the source text, especially since I can reproduce the problem no
matter what I put in the field.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com