'bout Revolution and FireBird]

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Thu Oct 2 14:45:00 EDT 2003

Julio,

In Revolution, ODBC works with DSN, but ODBC Manager doesn't create DSNs
for
remote databases (or am I wrong?).
<<

A revolution application running on Windows (or OS X or Linux or the other
Unices) is in principle capable of making an ODBC connection to a local
database _OR_ a remote database via ODBC.  You will have to configure your
own DSNs.  I haven't looked into this (as mostly my work has been server
side this last year), but I think you could make the registry entries
automatically yourself via Rev.

You will find that there are free ODBC drivers available for Firebird at http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&page=ibp_int_comps  However, I would check your results with several of the drivers.  I
found that there were apparently bugs in the Rev ODBC implementation, and
reported these to Runrev about 12 months ago (preBugzilla).  I have no
idea if they fixed them (at the time there was no official process for
squashing bugs if one was not an Enterprise level licensee).

Regards,
Bernard