IDE inspectors should reveal all properties

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 06:49:00 EST 2003

At 9:58 am +0000 26/11/03, Graham Samuel wrote:

>I'd really like to know what the profile of a 'typical' MC user
>was/is. I strongly suspect that it would be different from that of a
>'typical' RR user. We seem to be pretty good at feedback, judging by
>this list...

I think MC users were once described as "mature". If that means
mature as in cheese (i.e. old and smelly) then it fits one user's
profile at least. Living Fossils all of us, so you should feel at
home, Graham. :)

One reason for lack of feedback on Xavier's additions to the MC
development environment may have been a perceived lack of need by
many MC users. Not that we don't see shortcomings in the IDE, but I
imagine each user has his/her own ideas for what would constitute an
improvement. And as modifying the environment or making additions is
relatively easy, many have probably made their own "improvements". In
my own case, many of these changes are made ad hoc. Typically, I'll
make a utility stack for each project I work on which lets me poke
and pry to my heart's content. These utlities won't win prizes in the
interface stakes, but they get the job done. It's this kind of
flexibility that endeared me to Metacard. (And probably turned others
off.)

When Rev was first released, the IDE was the only thing that
differentiated it from Metacard. Therefore the MC users who enjoyed
MC's flexibility saw no reason to switch.  Since then, RunRev have
added some *heavy* features as externals (database connectivity and
XML) giving solid reasons for us obstinate MC users to purchase Rev.
And many have done so, I believe.

I guess too that Rev's feature-rich IDE gives higher expctations to
users. You don't hear too many complaints from old-timers about the
MC IDE in the same way you don't get complaints about the food served
in the local greasy-spoon.

Now that RunRev has brought the engine and IDE under the same roof, I
think there is less need for them to make the IDE the main selling
point of the product, and they can afford to make the IDE more
flexible. However, I wouldn't want them to rush to do that.
Improvements and additions to the engine would be my choice of
priorites. The continuing development of a solid and general purpose
IDE would be next. And the opening up to alternative IDEs would come
after that.

Cheers
Dave
(getting hungry from all these food analogies)