Networking Mac/PC Windows XP

Graham Samuel livfoss at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Nov 26 04:38:45 EST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 00:28:46 +0100, Wouter <wouter.abraham at pi.be> wrote:

>If you want to share your internet connection with  an OS 9 Mac acting
>as router then have a look at IPNetRouter from Sustainable Softworks at
>   http://www.sustworks.com/
>(very little overhead and a mixed PC - Mac environment is no problem)

I endorse this - works great. I have a cable modem connected to my
Mac and I can attach Windows PCs to my home LAN (I am using an
ancient Windows 95 machine and more modernn ones with XP) and there
is no apparent overhead in Internet access via IPNetRouter - in fact
when I put a fast PC on the LAN it appeared to run a good deal faster
than the gateway Mac! I guess this was because the rendering speed of
a 1.2GHz machineor whatever is faster than my 400MHz G3.

For OSX, as I understand it, there are different solutions. Apple
itself explains these in Help files and on the Knowledge Base, but
I've had a lot of help from Joel Shoemaker's site - e.g.

http://joelshoemaker.com/computer/mac/wxpfs.html

HTH

Graham