is among - problem

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Nov 21 22:18:09 EST 2003

On 11/21/03 7:49 PM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> My real problem was that "is among" was not finding sets of groups that
> were similar but transposed. In my need to find a solution I added the
> part about converting a line like 123 into 1,2,3 so that "is among"
> could work.
>
> I really want to understand why it didn't work though. Any clues???

The "is among" operator tests for exact matches, so it won't work with
transposed numbers. For example, "1" is among the items of "1,2,3" but
is not among the items of "12,13,14". The "is among" operator is an
automatic way of setting wholeMatches to true.

On the other hand, since you are testing only single digits, you could
have used the plain "is in" operator. 1 is in "123" and likewise 2 and 3
are both in "123". However, "213" is not in "123", so you'd have to test
each digit individually.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com