Import Full Formated Text

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Wed Nov 19 14:34:52 EST 2003

On Nov 19, 2003, at 10:46 AM, Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> ... I just want to be able to cut and paste and/or import hundreds of
> pages of text into text fields and move on - instead I have to start
> from scratch with formating etc.

Right. You mentioned several proprietary file formats. "text
formatting" is very nonspecific. Every word processing app does text
formatting in it's own idiosyncratic way.

Read the Transcript Dictionary, focusing all of properties of the Field
control. That's all of the formatting capabilities you have at your
disposal. And keep in mind HTML and RTF support is *very small subset*
of what is supported by say MSIE, or MS Word.

In File menu | Import as Control that's the list of file types you can
import directly.

I would also look at Rev's copy-paste facilities. When you copy text
from a word processing app, I think you will find that it puts several
different representations of the text onto the clipboard (this is how
it works on Mac, I guess Window is the same). Maybe if you script the
copy pasting you can have more control over which representation (plain
text, rich text, PDF, TIFF, who knows) you are bringing into your app.

> QUESTION: Two people have said "you can't create a fully-functional
> word processor" - Is this a license issue. I must not have read that
> part if it is. I am lazy at times in reading small print so I must
> have missed this. HHMMMM. Now I want to know what else I can't
> do......

Not a licensing issue, it has to do with Rev's Field features and
limitations.

Someone once mentioned an external for HC or SC that was a
full-featured text editing type of control. Maybe there is a market for
such a beast for Rev?

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>