Hilite bug in OS X appearance manager?

Michael J. Lew michaell at unimelb.edu.au
Mon Nov 17 20:40:09 EST 2003

I have spent an hour chasing odd behaviour wherein a button will
hilite itself wrongly and unlock the screen. Here is a recipe:

make a new button. Set its autohilite to false and set its script to
on mouseDown
   lock screen
end mouseDown

on mouseUp
   set the hilite of me to false
end mouseUp

on mouseStillDown
   put the hilite of me
end mouseStillDown

Now click and hold the mouse  button down over the button. On my
machine (OS X.2.6) the button will become hilited after about a
second if I have the view set to appearance manager but not Mac OS
emulated, Linux or Windows. The button should not, of course get
hilited at all. What's more, it reports its hilite as false even
though it looks hilited.

 From other behaviour in my stack it is apparent that the aberrant
button hiliting is associated with an aberrant unlocking of the
screen.

Can anyone confirm this apparent bug?

--
Michael J. Lew