Faceless CGI: force output to be interpreted by Apache

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Nov 17 15:49:44 EST 2003

Ha! "SSI in a way that it was not intended"  .. what babes can do if
they don't know any better ;-)

www.hinduismtoday.com  is presently completely dynamically generated
using SSI, top to bottom.

Only later were we told by someone else "tisk, tisk... really that's
not what SSI is for." But we can't find any hard logic behind not using
it for this purpose... i.e. I suppose that making one's web site page
generation depending on system wide resident httpd services over which
you have no control, instead of completely under the control of one's
own dBase or CGI's is considered "bad form." ??

But, FYI, it works just great and very fast to compared to other .asp
or .js built sites. And no one yet has given a good reason not to do
this, if it serves well, which it does.

But, Brian wrote: "It seems there's not much that SSI offers which
couldn't be done by Rev itself in the first place...." Agreed.. .much
simpler than hacking Apache's config, over which we have no control
anyway, since this is a virtual site on  a server where we can't touch
Apache settings.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery