Faceless CGI: force output to be interpreted by Apache

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Nov 17 15:08:13 EST 2003

Alex: thanks for focusing on this a bit...

Whether the SSI is" include" or "exec" seems not to be the issue. The
issue seems to be that Apache doesn't parse (and trigger the associated
module) anything that is sent out the pipe to stnOut by the Rev CGI.

If we put into a browser:

www.himalayanacademy.com/forms/dynamicallyBuiltwSSI.html

where "dynamicallyBuiltwSSI.html"

has both includes and exec's, (for header's and footers, side bar links
chunks etc) Apache will parse and run those SSI's as expected and send
the document back to the browser with the expected chunks inserted.

on the other hand

on startUp   ## highly simplified for this email

put url "file:forms/dynamicallyBuiltwSSI.html" into tResponseToUserFile

## do stuff here, replace strings with the users's name,
## insert his choices from a shopping cart form etc.

  put "Content-Type: text/html" & cr
     put "Content-Length:" && the length of tResponseToUserFile & cr & cr
     put tResponseToUserFile

end startUp

the user will see all the raw strings

<-- exec virtual "/cgi-bin/whatever.cgi" --!>

in his browser. i.e. the stndOut from the Rev CGI goes straight out
port 80 without Apache's help (Apache doesn't parse it), as far as I
can tell. Just guessing of course, all we know is the SSI's are not
implemented.

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery