Help Please

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 16 13:31:46 EST 2003

--- Steve Laming <steve.laming at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply Richard.
>
> The ID of the graphic is 1902.  The name I have
> given it is 605
>
> If I use the ID as you suggested, it does what you
> said it would.  But I
> really need to change the background by name, or
> alternatively find the ID
> of the object from the name.
>
> I am not sure of the syntax for addressing the
> object by name.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Steve

Hi Steve,

The best way to address controls by their name, is by
quoting the name :
  put the text of field "Foo" into bar

If you don't put quotes around the field name, the
engine will first look check if you passed it a number
; if so, it assumes you really wanted the 605th
graphic on this card.
If it is not a number (eg abracadabra), it will try to
find a variable named abracadabra, and see if there is
a field on this card with a name that corresponds to
the value of that variable.

Hope this clarified things a bit,

Jan Schenkel.

=====