Save in Standalone

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Nov 16 09:37:23 EST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:46:28 -0800, Roger Guay <rogerguay at centurytel.net>
wrote:

>Thanks, Graham.  Makes sense now that I think about it.  By a "data
>stack" you must mean a   .rev  stack, as a standalone data stack would
>have the same problem???  And, since I can't expect my users will have
>Revolution installed on their machine, I guess I'll have to use
>external files to save to and pull from?
Yes, but the external files can be stacks - after all, that's how the IDE
works, and it's written in Transcript! Look at 'How to store preferences or
data for a standalone application' in the online documentation. I guess the
best way to start this off is to have a template stack as a substack of
your application and then when you start or when the user first wants to do
a 'Save' (depends on your design), then invoke some code to clone the
template stack, rename it and save it for the benefit of the user. As a
matter of fact, I don't myself know how to create a stack completely from
scratch, and I don't know how the IDE implements 'New Mainstack' and 'New
Substack' - but I imagine it via this template scheme. I'd be curious to
know - maybe one of the real gurus on this list will explain (anyone?)

TIA

Graham