Windows Misery

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu Nov 13 13:59:37 EST 2003

> Make a "recipe" stack that shows the crash on Windows 95-ME
> and send it
> to runrev.

Certainly making a "recipe" stack (i.e. a stack which has the least
amount of "stuff" in it to demonstrate the problem) is a great idea.
Several times I've enountered bug which I thought were one thing, but
when creating a recipe stack I found out it wasn't what I thought it
was.

The other thing that might help (since you say you added a logging
system) is to see what was the very last thing to happen before the
crash. If it crashed when opening a substack, try to identify which
substack. Remember that images load into memory when a stack is opened,
so if you open a substack that has a lot of images on them, they will
all load into memory.

For earlier versions of Windows, I've encountered that most crashes are
related to memory. How much memory does the 95/98/ME machines have that
you've been testing on?

Just some ideas...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software