newbie question: type 3 error

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 11 17:36:55 EST 2003

--- Matt Ryan <mryan at lubbock.k12.tx.us> wrote:
> I just recently purchased downloaded Revolution
> Studio 2.1 with the
> intent of converting Hypercard stacks to Revolution
> and then to Windows.
> Whenever I try to convert a stack, I get to the last
> step (build
> distribution) and Revolution "unexpectedly quits
> with a type 3 error".
> The new stack appears as a standalone, but when I
> transfer it to a
> windows machine and open it, windows cannot find the
> application which
> created it. I increased the memory allocation for
> Revolution to 60 MB to
> no avail. Can anyone tell me what might be wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MTR

Hi Matt,

Sorry to hear your first steps in conversion were not
a success. However, there's good news.
The first thing you need to do, is compact your stack
in HyperCard ; some suggest you should compact it
three times or so, just to make sure.
You can then either open this stack on the Mac version
of Revolution, or you can binhex it, copy the .hqx
file to your Windows machine, and open it directly
from within Revolution.

As you will have to tweak your stack before building a
standalone for Windows, it's best to open it on that
platform anyway, so you can make the necessary
changes.
Since you have allocated more RAM to Revolution, I
asusme you're running the MacOS 7-8-9 version ? Have
you tried downloading and reinstalling the most recent
version 2.1.2 from the Revolution website ?

Hope this helped,

Jan Schenkel.

=====