Basics on using Rev as a CGI on Mac OS X

kee nethery kee at kagi.com
Tue Nov 11 15:45:41 EST 2003

There has been a great deal of discussion over the years concerning
RunRev as a web server CGI and I'm feeling pretty dense because it
seems way more complicated than what I want or imagined I would need to
do.

I want to create a standalone app, with a main stack that obviously
cannot have changes saved to it, and a sub-stack that can have data
that changes over time.

I want to copy that standalone set of stacks, with their visual
interface to a Mac OS X web server. I want to be able to run that
standalone on the server and use the information in it, change the
information, etc, and at the same time let others access the
information via a web interface.

I want to post data to the stack from a client web browser, see the
data in a field in the stack, have scripts parse it, do whatever, and
then format some HTML or XML or both and send it back to the client.

Seems simple enough to me but all the examples I see involve installing
an engine and saving the stacks as scripts or unix text files or moving
the scripts out of the stack or something, I'm just not too sure how
this relates to just building a stack, accessing data in it, and
formating an HTML reply.

If this is possible and someone has an example stack that does this
with setup instructions, I'd love to see it.

If not, if someone knows how to do this, I'd be happy to write up the
step by step process for non-Unix weenies like me, and have someone
post it on a web site somewhere.

Help!

Kee Nethery