Two questions

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Nov 11 00:16:51 EST 2003

Hi Tom,

> Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 17:35:37 -0500
> From: Thomas J McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
> Subject: Re: Two questions

> Again, Jason's answer will fix it if they quit out and restart my app.
> But I was hoping for a good way to check during runtime and not when
> reopening my app after the end user screws it up. Once screwed up it
> does not go back with out Jason's solution. and in my opinion that
> would be a bug.
----------
I see your point, i.e., you think the engine should dynamically detect a
screen res change and adjust the geometry during runtime. I like it, and it
would certainly be an improvement. In fairness, though, even some fairly
modern games I have won't do that while they're running. Their solution is
to simply block access to such things while running, i.e., you can't change
screen res unless you pause the game (or Quit) and go do it. When it resumes
it checks such things and adjusts the geometry at that time.

In the meantime, Richard's suggestion of implementing a "send in (time)"
structure seems a good solution. That's what it's for, so that such things
can happen with no significant taxing of the processor, such that
performance isn't affected. That structure is a boon to this type of
hyper-level dev tool, because it allows a unique modicum of
behind-the-scenes multitasking. It allows us to do some things which were
previously impossible in this venue.

HTH,
Ken N.