Mac OS X default button = 100% CPU usage

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Sun Nov 9 17:49:42 EST 2003

On 11/8/03 1:35 PM, "Richard Gaskin" wrote:

>> Throbbing buttons are kinda cool, too bad they can't figure a way to
>> multitask the things so they don't hog the CPU.
>
> They have a cool appearance, but are arguably counterproductive in actual
> use (beyond being a CPU hog).
>
> A default button must be visually distinct enough to make it clear that it
> is the default action for a dialog.  But what Steve & Co. forgot was that
> the most important element in a dialog is the dialog's content, not the
> default button.

[ lots of humorous commentary snipped ]

As usual, Richard makes some great points.  However, the fact that throbbing
buttons are currently part of the native OS requires that we have some way
to support them, whether native routines, animated images or something else.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design