Rev Sandbox?

Jim Lyons jimlyons at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 9 07:43:10 EST 2003

Recently, Dan Schafer wrote:
> (One of these days I'll understand the
> mentality vandals who derive joy from merely disrupting the lives and
> sanity of others. On second thought, I hope I never do understand that.
> It's abominable.)

A dark thought that has been lurking in my world-weary mind is the risk
we take by downloading stacks and running them on our machines. As more
and more folks discover Revolution, there are more and more things to
share and check out. So far, we have a cozy, friendly community of users
and none of us would think of using Rev for anything disruptive, or
worse. I feel pretty confident downloading things from the sites of
people we have come to "know" here on the list. But we all know very
well that some innocent looking little "Christmas Message" stack could
conceal anything from a prank to a disaster. With Rev's internet
capabilities, I suppose it could even be used to launch a worm.

So what can we do, other than only run stacks from reputable sources? I
know there's no way to scan a stack and tell if it's evil. Would it be
possible to devise a kind of sandbox to test new stacks in, that would
prevent and report on attempts to write to the disk drive, send
something over the net, etc?

Hoping for a better world,
Jim Lyons