(rather) complex group / ungroup problem

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Sat Nov 8 15:46:13 EST 2003

Hi list,

I am experiencing strange group behavior.

I have a set of embeded groups of objects
(actually 2 groups of 40 btns each + 1 group
of 800 flds - these 3 groups are grouped into
a larger one).
One of my script creates sub-groups on the fly,
and then ungroups these sub-groups to return
to the original structure described above.
For instance, it creates a temporary sub-group
inside one of the grp of 40 btns, and then (using
relayergroupedcontrols property and an adequate
repeat loop, sets all layers back to their original
values so that the global structure remains unchanged).

This works perfectly (and fast) for the groups of btns,
but not for the grp of flds : actually, the sub-group is
created, but it refuses to ungroup (although the "ungroup"
command doesn't return any error message).

I have tried various combinations with relayergroupedcontrols,
I have tested my script with earlier backups of my stack (to
make sure it wasn't corrupted), etc.

I must confessed I am puzzled, and don't know what to
try next...
One more detail : the only difference in my script between
the group / ungroup subset of btns (that works) and
group / ungroup subset of flds (that refuses to ungroup)
is that it isn't called the same way  : for the btns group,
the group / ungroup cmds are part of a 2nd level handler
(one handler called by another one), while in the flds case,
it is a 3rd level handler...

I think I vaguely remember facing something similar
(scripts not working anymore when the call level is too
high). Could it be a bug or limit of the MC engine ?

Any other idea ?

Thanks a bunch,
JB