Develop on Windows or Mac?

Ray Bennett smilingeyes at mac.com
Tue Nov 4 21:43:34 EST 2003

Hi Paul.  I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions on this one.

I've lived on Macs and Unix boxes for years and years.  We've
developed, over the past year, a product that is cross platform -
meaning that it has a market that requires Mac and PC support.  Alas,
the Mac will likely account for less than 10% of our shipments.

I developed for the first several months on a Mac (Powerbook G3/400
with a second head).  What I've found to be true is this:
* Nearly everything you develop on the Mac that looks pretty darned
nice will disappoint you when viewed on Windows  (even if you used the
Windows emulator to preview things).  Windows only has a few good fonts
on the screen, and then only at hi-res.  The disconnect between what
you see and what you print is impossible to understand until you
experience it.  We Mac weenies just got way to used to getting what we
expected.
* Some VERY critical functionality is NOT well-behaved on Windows.
Specifically, you can't rely on memory management to work the way you'd
expect.   The inability of Windows (or the rev engine on windows) to
perform garbage collection of what has been paged and or swapped will,
when you least expect it, crash your built application (and
occasionally even the IDE) hard.  If you've developed exclusively on a
Mac, you're not nearly as likely to experience these crashes (I went
happily along for 4 months without ever seeing a crash - I went 20
minutes on a PC before I crashed).   If you spend your development time
on the Windows machine, you develop a better sense of where the trouble
spots are and know to either plan on finding a work around, or thinking
differently about how you design something.   (aside:  from my
experience, the trouble spots are printing, cloning, rapidly changing
cards or rapidly growing stacks)
* Because Mac interfaces "intuit" so much better than PCs (again, this
is opinion), you can mistakenly develop a metaphor that is not familiar
or intuitive to PC users.   If you're developing on the Windows
machine, you tend to understand why the user of your application may
just say "huh?".   This refers, especially, to clicking close boxes and
positioning Cancels and OKs and Applys
* Printing - how its set up, how its presented, and how it actually
works, has a lot of Jekyll and Hyde in it.  It is clearly one of those
areas that justifies the use of what the Revolution team calls a
"profile".

I could go on, but I guess I said all of that to say this:
I think you should spend most of your _development_ time on the
platform on which your users will spend most of their _using_ time.

Otherwise, you have a separation from their experience which doesn't
help you or them.   And touching up interfaces you developed on a PC to
look good (they always work) on a Mac is much easier than the converse.

God bless Apple.  Long live the Revolution.

Ray