using Distribution Builder's "Save Distribution As..." option

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Nov 4 15:53:12 EST 2003

On Nov 4, 2003, at 1:27 PM, Howard Bornstein wrote:

> Poorly. In my experience, saved distribution files often won't work
> across Rev versions. IMHO, the mechanism for setting up rev
> distributions is flawed. They should be like documents, each document
> storing a set of distribution parameters. Thus, the file menu should
> have a New Distribution menu item. Currently, you have to choose
> "revert to default settings" to start fresh and then you may still
> have to change some data. How intuitive is that?
>
> I just brought up a saved distribution file and it had its data merged
> with some of the information that was in the existing distribution
> stack.

You you think it is attempting some type of document load when you do
"Open Distribution..."? I always figured it was just going to the saved
stack in place of the default distribution builder.

> Most of the time, I rebuild a distribution stack from scratch--a big
> waste of time that shouldn't be necessary.

Ah. That sounds like my experience. So I just stopped using "Save As"
entirely. If I need to build another project, or change settings, I
just retype the information into the Distribution Builder. It's
tedious, but at least it ensures I'm always using the latest
distribution builder.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>