Back With Unicode Blues

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Sat May 31 19:03:02 EDT 2003

Hello, Tuviah!

On Sunday, June 1, 2003, at 02:20  AM, Tuviah M Snyder wrote:

> There is a sample stack in the contributors which demonstrates
> transferring unicode text from one field to another

Thank you for the tip!

I had already had a look at that stack. Indeed, the scripts work there,
because the programmer is using 'set the unicode of field x to *[chunk
of] field y" kind of statements. Note that:

a) None of these script try to change only PART of a field - they reset
the entire contents of the field at once:

" set the htmlText of LINE L of field x to..."

b) None of these scripts use an intermediary step to build the new
contents of the field:

"put the unicodeText of field x into lNewText"
"put the unicodeText of field y after lNewText"
"set the unicodeText of field z to lNewText"

I also suspect that some languages are more prone to running into
problems than others - specifically, the ones that have to use a
'unicode' keyboard, rather than the MacOS 'local scripts' keyboards.
To better and more fully illustrate the problem I've encountered,
please have at look at this stack:

http://www.pixelmedia.com.au/Unicode_Problem.rev

Many thanks in advance,

--