Nine to Five Reports

Dan Shafer dan at shafermedia.com
Sat May 31 11:01:02 EDT 2003

I'm in frequent contact with Michael Long and E.R. Haas, the two
primary geniuses behind Nine to Five Reports. I've been working on a
new (non-tech) project with them for about 18 months now. E.R. (who was
CEO of the company) and I frequently kick around the idea of making
Reports run with or in RunRev. But our feeling is that the user base is
too small and that the differences between Transcript and HyperTalk are
so great that it would involve a complete rewrite for a user base that
probably wouldn't repay the R&D costs.

However, I know that if the RunRev folks and E.R. talked and if there
were some funding available for the project (either through pre-sales,
or direct investment or whatever), it is at least possible that E.R.
and Michael would pick up that product again and look into porting it.

If we're wrong -- if, in fact, the user base is big enough and
sufficiently interested in reporting mechanisms to create a modestly
profitable product -- I'd love to be able to convince E.R. to re-do
Reports for us. And I'd be happy to carry that ball forward if anyone
can convince me I'm wrong.

Dan Shafer
Technology Visionary - Technology Assessment - Documentation
"Looking at technology from every angle"
http://www.eclecticity.com
Latest Book Release: "HTML Utopia: Designing Without Tables Using CSS"
(http://www.sitepoint.com/books/css1/)