Back With Unicode Blues...

Igor Couto igor at pixelmedia.com.au
Fri May 30 23:16:01 EDT 2003

Hi all,

Back again with Unicode problems. For some reason, copying unicode text
(as 'htmlText') from one field to a line in another field is AGAIN not
working. But I have established the following:

Earlier today, as I typed in the 'source' field, the textFont property
of any extended characters I typed were automatically set by Revolution
to "Lucida Grande,Japanese" - I am using MacOS X, with the US-Extended
unicode keyboard, and typing Esperanto accented characters (ĉ, ŝ, ĝ, ĵ,
ĥ, ŭ).  After typing, trying to set the textFont of these characters to
anything else apart from the 'default' set by Revolution, had no effect
- the texFont property of these characters remained "Lucida
Grande,Japanese".

I did find, however, that I was suddenly being able to copy text from
the source field to the target field with a simple line of script
(which I hadn't been able to do until yesterday):

set the htmlText of line x of field "targetFld" to the htmlText of
field "sourceFld"

However, after a few hours working on other stacks, I went back to my
'unicode test' stack, and much to my surprise, the script NO LONGER
WORKS!

However, now when I go back and check the 'textFont' property of the
extended characters, as I type them, I see that Revolution is setting
them to "Geneva,Unicode", instead of "Lucida Grande,Japanese". Again,
if I try to set the 'textFont' property of these characters via script,
it has no effect - they remain "Geneva,Unicode". The only difference is
that now trying to copy the text from the source field to the target,
using the htmlText property no longer works...

When I look at the html being produced, I see that now the extended
characters have "Geneva" and "US" as attributes in the <font> tag! So,
even though the html escape sequences for these characters (ie, Ĉ)
is correct, my guess is that when Revolution 'reads it back' into the
target field, because it has 'US' as the language, it doesn't recognise
that character anymore...

So, perhaps Tuviah can enlighten us, as to WHY Revolution sometimes
sets the 'textFont' of international characters as "Lucida
Grande,Japanese", and sometimes as "Geneva,Unicode" - without allowing
us to change it? Why is Revolution automatically switching to another
font?

Also - if the textFont is "*,Unicode", why is it set in the html tag
produced that the language is "US"?

Is there a workaround for these issues?

--
Igor de Oliveira Couto