Hypercard using nine to five reports and converted to

William Humphrey Bill at bluewatermaritime.com
Tue May 27 15:04:14 EDT 2003

On 5/27/03 2:23 PM, "use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com"
<use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com> wrote:

> Ah, there you hit the nail on the head as to why such a thing is absent:
> queries.

Is it best when designing a Revolution project to store the data in MySql
instead of in the stacks themselves?

> from an engineering standpoint to do it in native Transcript (how else could
> you affordably do that for all supported platforms?), but from a business
> perspective that means it could only be used by two product audiences (Rev
> and MC).

That would be OK as revolution seems to have the other abilities needed for
sending data.

> On the upside, while rolling your own will probably cost more than Reports
> did, its doable and you'll have complete control over allaspects of it.

I wish revolution had a better design feature for reports. Something like
supercard has where you import a PDF. Is there something like that for
revolution to make it easier to design each report from existing PDF forms?

> Question:  what are the specific benefits of including a spreadsheet UI in a
> reporting tool?  There may be simpler ways to provide the same value....

The spreadsheet like interface is something like when you use PHPmyAdmin for
querying a mySql database only faster and each field is clickable and the
whole thing seemlessly updates when you close the spreadsheet window.