Building Mac Standalones from Windows

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu May 22 20:30:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 22, 2003, at 06:28 PM, Sarah wrote:

> As I understand it, it is not possible to build for pre-OS X Macs on
> non-Mac platforms. The application files require resource forks which
> other operating systems can't create. Stuffit archives (.sit) preserve
> the resource forks once they have been created, so that they are not
> stripped off by another OS, but if they can't be put on in the first
> place, I'm afraid you're stuck unless you can persuade one of us
> friendly Mac types to do the build for you :-)

Well, my idea, such as it is, is a layer that acts like a file system
with resource forks but when all is done what is left is a .sit file.
Or some other resource fork preserving file format.

It looks like a lot of work for a still-lots-around but outgoing OS,
but motivated build programmers could do it.

Dar Scott