[OT] -10^2

Gary Rathbone gary.rathbone at btclick.com
Thu May 22 14:29:00 EDT 2003

>I read -10^2 as (-10)^2 not -(10^2)

Victor Eijkhout replied :
> You can read all you want. There are established conventions and it's
> silly to ignore those.

And that's where the issues lie. Conventions and Standards are fine until
you take them outside of the environment that subscribe to them.

(The convention in my country is to drive on the left, if I visited your
home state of Texas and applied the same convention, then it may cause some
problems.)

As it stands I feel the volume of diverse responses reinforce the fact that
both are valid answers (although I prefer the positive result). Hence the
need for clarification to avoid unnecessary ambibuity.

As Richard Gaskin states "The interpretation is in the eye of the beholder
on paper. In Rev, interpretation is in the "eye" of the engine."

This is a convention to which we all literally subscribe.

Regards

Gary Rathbone BSc MBCS