-10^2

miscdas at boxfrog.com miscdas at boxfrog.com
Thu May 22 12:37:01 EDT 2003

Gary Rathbone writes:

>> Hope I don't get flamed for this, but I don't agree.
>> :-)  Someone feel free to dispute me if I'm wrong, but
>> I think Rev is correct. Isn't -10^2 the same as -10*-10
>
> Totally agree with you...
> I read -10^2 as (-10)^2 not -(10^2)
>
> As the interpretation seems to be in the eye of the beholder, then to save
> creating any doubt I'd always recommend parenthesis.
>
> Gary Rathbone BSc MBCS

I'm from the other camp. If I have negation in my numbers, it may not be
clear to everyone that looks at them that I expect the power to take
precedence. So, to ensure we all get the same results, I would use (-10^2)
to get positive results and -(10^2) to get negative results and avoid the
use of -10^2 altogether.

miscdas