-10^2 (OT)

Chris Sheffield cm_sheffield at yahoo.com
Thu May 22 10:31:00 EDT 2003

Hope I don't get flamed for this, but I don't agree.
:-)  Someone feel free to dispute me if I'm wrong, but
I think Rev is correct.  Isn't -10^2 the same as
-10*-10?  And don't two negatives yield a positive
when multiplied together?  Therefore, the answer would
be 100.  It's basic Algebra.  Now if you had -10^3,
the answer would be -1000 because you have 3
negatives.  I know this is totally off topic, but I
had to get my two cents in.

Chris Sheffield

--- David Squance <squance at elkvalley.net> wrote:
> >Maybe the larger question is:  Is there a standard
> order for operator
> >precedence, and if so why so much variation?
>
> There is from a mathematician's point of view.  What
> happened to all you
> guys' high school math?
> Weren't you all taught BODMAS (or BEDMAS)?  You
> can't be any older than I
> am, so your memory shouldn't be the issue.  Of
> course I taught math for
> nearly 30 years.  Helps keep the memory fresh.  I
> agree with Tom.  -10^2
> should always give you -100.  Don't expect MS to get
> it right.
> Dave

=====
Chris Sheffield